The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, June 18, 2007

Questionable Content

I recently started freelancing for an Internet content provider, but providing them with content has left me strangely devoid of my own: My apologies for missing my “day” here last week. I wanted to post a lighthearted, comedic piece about obituaries. It didn’t work out.

This week, to streamline the process (notice the newly acquired corporate terminology), I have decided to post in point form.

-Last week, I spoke with the lovely Joyce Scharf about her first book, a children’s fantasy novel, Grace and the Ice Prince. Watch for the interview in the July Montreal Review of Books.

-This week, I’m reading a Jacques Poulin book in translation, also for review. I only mention this, because until last week, I’d never heard of him, in spite of his having been selected for Canada Reads in 2005.

(Or perhaps because of his having been selected for Canada Reads in 2005. That year I was completely overwhelmed by a cranky baby. I was too frazzled to listen to the radio. Or read the paper. Even the obituaries.)

I assume that you’re better informed than I am, but just in case you aren’t, don't forget to read Poulin before you die.

Best regards,

Your eternally devoted content provider

p.s. Fellow Montrealers (including Tamara!), the St-Jean deadline for the New Quarterly Montreal issue is fast approaching.

p.p.s. There's a non-fiction reading tonight at Boa Bar that looks good. 9pm, St.-Laurent and Maguire.

4 Comments:

Blogger TJL said...

Oy vey! That deadline is soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

I read Volkswagon Blues many years ago, in translation and in the original. Fantastique! I had some minor issues with it, as a good student should, but in general I liked it very much. It was Roch Carrier's Canada Reads pick, which I was thrilled by. Do give a link when you're done your review, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Tue Jun 19, 09:33:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Canada Reads...

I need to catch up. I can't remember the last book I read off that list.

Tue Jun 19, 05:23:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Anne, you sound busy. But good-busy! Keep well.

Tue Jun 19, 06:20:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger sass said...

i'm sorry i missed that reading. no one warned me in advance. n only called me that night, and i was already at my summertime hang: dairy queen.

pls let me know about the next.

Fri Jun 22, 09:57:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home